Editing Services: Ghosting
Ghosting, or ghostwriting, is just over the line from developmental editing. A good ghost wears the author’s voice, writing significant sections if not all of the text in consultation with the client. As a ghost, I frequently consult with my clients to learn their particular style. As the work progresses, my DE skills come into play to create a work you’re proud of.
Editing Services: Substantive Editing
I also offer substantive editing services. Substantive editing is also intensive, but occurs after the creation process. As a substantive editor, I help you:
- Structure or restructure existing work, check for logical order and sequencing
- Ensure clarity of language
- Ensure the text is active and engaging
- Use rapport and engagement techniques to better position the reader
- Use established pedagogy in non-fiction/teaching works
- Catch contradictions and holes; ensure consistency
- Work through blocked areas and ideas; find a new perspective or approach
- Develop specific solutions for any issues
- Write and rewrite as necessary—less than developmental editing work
- Polish and refine your text—choosing the correct word for the correct sentence, rephrasing, reordering and more as needed.
Editing Services: Language Editing
The next step down in the editing process, language editing ensures your text is clear and well-written. As a language editor, I help you:
- Refine your sentences, including checking passive voice
- Edit for clarity and precision
- Check for a clear, logical progression of ideas—language editing flags issues, but not does not directly fix them
- Ensure jargon and technical terms are used correctly for the intended audience.
I’m fluent across major style guides and US, UK, and Commonwealth English.
Ready to transform your writing? Let me know what you need to start with: