Developmental Editing Services
Developmental Editing (DE)
Developmental editing is the most intensive type of editing, covering all aspects of the creative process. My unique background—BSc., G Dip Teaching & Learning, Cert TEFL, MA—means I bring a set of core analytical and creative skills to all my projects. Each DE-author relationship is different. Each book, each concept, is different. Some authors need a few of my skills, others need more. My job is helping you establish what you want and how we’re going to get you there. It’s a close, intensive process.
And I love it.
Although I can enter the process at any point, the most fruitful DE-author relationships start early, during the conceptual phase. As the project progresses, I help you:
- Create an outline and develop the central idea(s)
- Discuss and map themes, then arcs of the book
- Create a logical structure and developmental questions to guide the draft
- Develop your voice
- Ensure the text is active and engaging
- Use rapport and engagement techniques to better position the reader
- Use established pedagogy in non-fiction/teaching works
- Ensure clarity of language
- Catch contradictions and holes; ensure consistency
- Work through blocked areas and ideas; find a new perspective or approach
- Develop specific solutions for any issues
- Write and rewrite as necessary
- Polish and refine your text—choosing the correct word for the correct sentence, rephrasing, reordering and more as needed.
Ready to start? Let me know what you need help with here: